We Believed

"We Believed" is based on a passion for writing and music. The site is a collection of short stories and poems. I hope you enjoy them.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Little Break

I wrote this poem after sitting all day long next to a co-worker who chewed ice.  I came home and sat down and wrote this.  I showed it to the other girls I worked with, who then submitted it to a radio contest on writing poems related to work.  My poem won the contest and subsequently was read on the air.  I didn't know they had done this and when I showed up to work the next day my co-worker said, "Was that poem about me?"  I just stood there smiling and I nodded my head.  She and I ended up being good friends.  Hope you enjoy it.

A Little Break

I’ve been fidgeting in my seat, clicking on my pen,
I have to get to work and get back on track again.
I’ve been watching the calendar, watching the clock
I had to get up from my desk and go out for a walk,
‘cause I’d been staring at the wall, I thought, how long did I do that?
My mind just took a break, while my body here it sat.
The one on my right has been crunching on her ice,
I may have to see a shrink and get some good advice.
The noise annoys me so, it gets into my brain,
it’s driving me crazy, so I calmly tried to explain.
Well, SO I WASN'T CALM how would you have been?!
That's when I was told, my boss had called me in!
I said, “I’m under stress!” I cried, I made a scene.
She said it was alright. She wasn’t even mean.
She said, “Take time off” It would be okay,
this time was just for fun and I’d still get my pay!
That’s when I blinked my eyes and felt a little shake,
The ice cruncher on my right said, “Hey, are you awake?”
I said, “Of course I am, my mind just went berserk.
I’m trying to do my job, so let’s get back to work!”
By Mardi Sauve copyright 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment